[Chester LUG] Google's filter bubble

Robin Hemuss robin592 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 19:55:33 UTC 2015

Just joking, it's only me!

I just wanted to ask if anyone's heard of, or concerned about, Google's
alleged 'filter bubble', as describe here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJ369f1wCs

about 2 minutes in. Apparantly identical searches for Egypt returned different
results for different people, depending on what Google's algorithms decided
they would most likely want to hear. If that doesn't worry you, then you
shoud probably worry about not being worried! It strikes me as very
worrysome.

Shouldn't there be some way of a user explicitly choosing the sort order of
their results themselves, instead of leaving it to Google? And what would be
the best way of doing that?

Whenever I use Google I usually get links to Wikipedia, the BBC and the
Guardian. Loaded question of course, but is that normal?

Just wondered.

Robin