[Chester LUG] Ordering from OVH.co.uk

Ben Arnold benarnold at fsfe.org
Fri Mar 20 19:35:32 UTC 2015

Evenin' all,

Just a quick question for those that have ordered services from
OVH.co.uk: when I'm asked for proof of ID for being a new customer, does
this hold up the ordering process?

Understandable they want some filter to make sure I'm real, but asking
for my passport/driver's license/birth cert/bills/bank statement (can't
tell if it's && or || either) seems a bit much for a £5/month VPS.
Needless to say I don't buy the "if you've nothing to hide" argument;
I'm sure they'd happily suspend the service without notice or refund if
they suspect the slightest of wrongdoing!

I just wondered if anyone had this experience before I reply to them
asking for their GPG key... and probably a photo of their customer
service employee holding their ID badge...

Ta,
Ben

--
Ben Arnold