[Chester LUG] Ordering from OVH.co.uk

Michael Crilly michael at mcrilly.me
Sat Mar 21 15:12:30 UTC 2015

Hi Dave,

A VPS is useful for different things depending on the need. In my case, for example, I run local VMs to test Ansible Roles, ensuring they run correctly. I could do the exact same thing with a VPS, or several of them, if I didn’t have the power locally to do so. They’re also billed per hour, so spinning up 50 VPS and then deleting them again once you’re done with them after an hour, would cost you about $8. That’s a very small cost compared to hosting 4-5 high powered dedicated servers your self, 24/7, to do the same job, which even at OVH’s prices would cost you several hundreds per month. If you’re only testing 2-3 per week, then that’s around $30/month to test on 50 servers for three hours. it’s all about need and goals.

- Mike