[Chester LUG] Lap top advice.

Roger Gibson roger at rcgibson.plus.com
Mon Nov 6 21:38:13 UTC 2017

My wife's old lap top has finally died.  It happily dual booted with
Windoze 7 and Ubuntu 12,  (but nothing more recent) which worked fine
for her, but as I say, it has sadly died.  Looking at what is available
now leaves me rather perplexed.  She would like at least a 14" screen,
and to dual boot with Ubuntu (or similar) and preferably with Windoze 10
uprated to Windoze 7.

She only does email (Thunderbird) and browsing (Firefox), and is happy
with LibreOffice.  Some things are easier for her in Windoze, but this
is not essential.  However, chucking out Windoze before guarantee has
expired sounds a bit dodgy.

A 1TB hard drive is way over what is required, but can one dual boot
with a 128GB SSD, or is a bigger HDD drive needed?

Don't know why, but I feel uneasy if there is no Ethernet port.

Similarly, a DVD drive makes me happier.

Internet is not robust enough to have to rely on Cloud.

Any ideas?  No point in paying over the odds, but anything under £600
does not seem to fit the bill.

I happily survive with a hand built desk top I bought from one of you
when it would not go fast enough for hard gaming, but easily multi-tasks
for me, and a 10" Asus Notebook, so I've nothing left I can pass on and
upgrade myself.

Any advice would be very much appreciated - Roger.