[Colchester] The distro debate

Sam Cater sacater at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 22 20:10:11 GMT 2007

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:34:15 +0000
Toby Whaymand <toby.whaymand at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I am undecided about SUSE I keep having problems with it that I never
> experienced in Ubuntu but I am not saying it not user error (i.e me)
>
> I have used Gentoo but in all honestly if it had the Ubuntu wallpaper
> and the same colour scheme what is the difference between them?
>
> They work almost the same way and they look alike?
>
> Now you going to tell me I'm wrong right?
>
> Thanks
>
> Toby

Sweet jesus yes i am

Gentoo and Ubuntu are almost completely different. Most of gentoo is
always built and compiled from scratch, whereas Ubuntu is generic.

Gentoo compiles EVERYTHING, whilst ubuntu uses generic installation
packages.

Gentoo is highly more modable, and in most cases faster.

thats only the start :P

Sam