[Colchester] Install party: a little progress

Sam Tuke samtuke at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:13:41 GMT 2008

Hello all,

First of all, thanks to all those who have already offered support for the Install party!

Here's a little progress in my poster/flier design; it currently looks like this: http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=flierpj5.png

Some text (aside from dates etc.) will need changing, I gave quite a lot of thought to what is already there but I know its far from perfect. Please bear in mind that I am aiming primarily at those with awareness of an alternative to MS software with this advert, you could say that it is aimed at the 'inquisitive', not at hardcore MS-o-holics (as suggested at CLUG meeting). I have not included any reference to a website or requested either that people submit their PC info before the event, or that they backup data before arrival. I hope to add this in future, although I'll have to make some more space available (I was aiming primarily for impact initially). Please see this very much as a draft therefore.

Suggestions would be appreciated - also other poster designs from people with different thinking would be great. We can use a variety of posters to promote this event, although I think ideally they would all share some common recognisable features to unify the campaign.

I also have the .svgs (its made in inkscape) for anyone who wants them - just email me directly and I'll host them somewhere for you.

Also here are two interesting guides for running install parties which offer some valuable insight and experience; not all of it is relevant or agreeable of course: http://www.wikihow.com/Arrange-Linux-Install-Party ; http://www.xml-dev.com/xml/LDP/InstallFestHowTo.html

I have also attached an archive which includes four items: a comprehensive install fest how-to in pdf format, two separate poster adverts for ubuntu install parties, and a sample release agreement or waiver from a previous install party. I hope you find some of this information useful!

Kind Regards,

Sam Tuke.

Share what Santa brought you
https://www.mycooluncool.com