[Colchester] The fifth freedom

Jai Harrison jai at jaiharrison.com
Mon Jul 14 20:40:53 BST 2008

-- I posted this message on the Ubuntu UK Mailing List but felt it
would be appropriate here too --

I have been thinking about this for a long time and contacted the FSF
a while ago concerning how the GPL doesn't ensure my freedoms anymore.
They directed me to the Affero General Public License and I have
decided to license any of my work that I release under it to ensure it
remains free.

This is a big problem nowadays though. I'm using Google Apps for Your
Domain which most likely uses code that was previously free. Google is
one of the companies that makes a lot of money out of free software by
making it proprietary in a sense that the GPL doesn't prevent. There's
an interesting post on linux.com about this:
http://www.linux.com/feature/140934

What do you guys think about the theft of our freedoms that web
applications are introducing and on the requirement of a fifth freedom
to be introduced to protect free software from nasty corporations who
choose to exploit it (e.g. Google).