[Colchester] Is Google Evil?

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 22:43:48 BST 2008

Is Google Evil?

I think this question has been asked before somewhere.

Here's the thing. They are the number one search engine and probably
have a record of everthing I have looked up and well as everything I
have watched on YouTube, which they may have to hand over to Paramount
(can't spell that one beginning with V). You see Google better not be
evil but they have so much power and power corrupts.

Google Earth is fantastic, so are Google Maps. Maps have been around for
years, we have the Ordinace Survey, that name comes from the military
origins of map making. A map can help guide your army and your guns and
your cruise missiles. Google puts that power into our hands in a very
convenient form. Google could puff a couple of clouds over something you
want to look at, that is massive power!It is fantastic that they have
put such power into our hands. So now the Google Street View cars are
scanning the UK into google in 360 degree 3D explorable form. It's only
what you could see if you went there. The difference is that you
probably did not go there but Google makes this available to anyone and
everyone. That is scary and fantastic.

I believe that if google has this info then I want it too. I don't want
someone having more power than I have by taking something that we are
all entitled to. However by allowing everyone to access Street View then
this tool could be used by those with bad intent. The government will
cirtainly want some control over this and most people will demand that
the government do something about Google. What I think would be worse,
but it's a close one, is that the Government and people have access to
Street View but we don't.

Photography is a powerful tool in any case, the government want control
of private photography. I remember the days when every photo you took
would be looked at by the people in Boots. You dare not take a photo of
something a bit rude, you know they would duplicate them. Cameras have
become far more powerful now that you can take hundreds of photos and
don't have to show anyone. I can see a camera combined with GPS and
Nintedo Wii controller that will allow 3D photography from a hand held.
The Wii controller has a gyroscopic sensor that can track movement. You
know that stitchup application to make really wide landscapes that is
bundled with your camera? That process will happen in your camera in
real time. Those will be mighty powerful photos, GPS tagged, time
stamped, ID tagged, 3D.

Should people upload these to google?

Regards,
Wayland.