[Colchester] The Internet

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 09:15:44 BST 2008

Toby

Toby Whaymand wrote:
> I generally agree with what you are saying mate.  Despite the dangers of the internet it is the freedom it can give people that makes it so great.
>
> Imagine if you was in a wheel chair and pretty much house bound most of the day until your career or family member arrives for these people I believe the internet is vital because it can take you around the world.  You can go to New York see all the tourist places like The Statue of Liberty. then a click later you could be seeing Dingo at at Australia Zoo.  Indeed you can travel the world with out leaving your home.
>
> Like Television -which I also belive plays an important role. The internet is escapism which can be very important for some people....

The Internet is not like television, but it could be and this is what I
am worried about. Google Earth is a fantastic tool, but we have MS Live
Earth and if I wanted I could start my own version or do overlays to
these where I show things of interest to me. If Google Earth had some
sort of operating licence and I was banned from doing a similar thing
unless I obtained a licence then that would be bad for freedom. From a
technical point of view the Internet does not require much regulation.
Unlike TV channels it expands when ever I add a new website or install a
new server. To run a website I have to pay for monthly bandwidth. The
more popular my site the more bandwidth (traffic to my site) I have to
buy. This money filters out over the various providers as they each  buy
bandwidth off each other. If they start charging for virtual routes
between points then that makes it like a switched circuit, like the
telephone. The Internet can make free international calls because it's
packet switched, the destination does not affect billing. If ISP's do
deals to get a faster connection to the BBC's servers for video then
users of ISP's who don't have such deals will suffer. The BBC rejected
the plan to make them pay the ISPs for all the extra bandwidth their
iPlayer users were causing. The BBC already has to pay for bandwith and
is actually providing content for the ISPs to deliver to their
subscribers. If we had to rely on the ISPs to come up with content, we
would still be using Compuserve. What perhaps is a little rich is the
huge prices BT charge the ISPs, but the solution is that the ISPs should
provide the connections to the subscribers homes, which I am active in.

> When I heard on the radio about sex offenders registering there e-mail address I could not believe my ears - it's just a joke! That never going to work because it is dead easy to register an e-mail.
>
> The only hope that I can see is if a sex offender registers his or hers IP address which will then have some kind of software control.  I think in that kind of case controlling the internet for that person on there own computer is justified.

So you believe that some sort of control on what sex offenders can do on
the Internet is justified? That the average person should have freedoms
to do things that a sex offender is banned from doing? Or maybe that is
not fair, maybe to make it fair we should all be monitored and banned
from doing certain things? Recently an insignificant social networking
site that only allows over 18's banned anyone with a profile over the
age of 36 year because of concerns about predatory paedophiles. It's
hard to know where to start with this one. First people lie about their
age so under 18's maybe online, second people lie about their age so
over 36 years maybe online and thirdly what does the age of the
paedophile have to do with being a paedophile?

> There one thing I would like to see... Every body getting together and target an ISP like Virgin Media and try and get better support for Linux.  If everyone (being Linux users) across the UK acted as one then the ISP will adjust to include Linux support

I think Linux is very well supported these days. Obviously with Linux
you should get a router and not even try and use a USB Modem. The main
problem with Linux is proprietary media formats that require a licence.
Many sites like to use these because of DRM and some of them have pretty
good performance. It seems to me that these media formats are like
printer Ink Cartridges. Basically liquid ink would fit into any shaped
cartridge, but it's always sold in the cartridge which being solid will
only fit into the right shaped hole. Each time the Ink Cartridge cloners
copy a new cartridge the printer makers come out with a new printer. I
saw a printer in PC World (spit) that was £45, I thought that's good
value, since the replacement cartridges were £40! This is what the
computer industry spends most of it's time doing, making things
incomputable (spell checker suggested that word) to screw more money out
of us.

Linux provides the computer professional with a means to control their
own destiny. The trouble is most people are too short sighted to see
this. If Linux can't connect to the Zune player then Linux is at fault
in their eyes. The incomputability (I like that word) of things is
deliberate. The boy who got convicted of mod chipping his X-Box had his
conviction overturned last week. He was getting round one of these
deliberate incompatabilitys.

So when you want Linux better supported you need to fight for the right
to create better support.

Wayland.