[Colchester] The greatest prime minister of all time

Tom Robbins me at tomrobbins.me.uk
Sun Jun 15 13:33:50 BST 2008

The Internet isn't a power but rather a resource, and unusually for a
resource is not subject to scarcity. Artificially imposing scarcity on
it is just a bloody silly idea, which I hope is doomed for failure.

I can be so idealistic some times.

The New Deal isn't really a good example of Labours activities, since it
was put into place by John Major's government. I'll agree that they have
done a lot for vulnerable people, but that has included widening the
definition of vulnerable to damn near everyone. It doesn't make them
liberal, it makes them (vaguely) benevolent. To paraphrase: a benevolent
authoritarian is still authoritarian.

Council housing and unemployment benefits might be nice, but we've also
had war, paranoia, the undoing of centuries of citizens rights, being
party to torture and murder, and the surveillance society. Yon Tony has
been one of the great prime ministers in a similar, although slightly
less extreme way, to how Hitler was one of the great German chancellors:
he's achieved some quite spectacular things, some of them even benefited
the world at large, but a lot of it wasn't nice and has been carefully
ignored.