[Colchester] The future of the computer and Open Source

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Sun Jun 22 21:47:13 BST 2008

Toby Whaymand wrote:
> After watching TV about computers I was wondering about the future what do you guys think the computer would be like in 20 years time or even ten years time?

Toby,

There are a couple of breakthroughs that cold change everything. One
would be to transmit a video signal into the brain.

The other is to go beyond binary. Computers are deterministic, they only
do what their inputs and programming allow. It's always a result of what
came before. You may not be ale to shortcut the prediction of what they
will do but the same memory and input status will always produce the
same result.

The reason for this is that the are specifically designed to see only a
0 or a 1 even though the electrical levels may be very subtle. If they
failed to do this then they would be considered broken.

In the real world we are not deterministic. We have free will, our
actions are not governed by what came before. In fact the real world the
present is often affected by the future. Impossible in a computer. But
what if it were possible? Obviously the unnatural rigidity of the binary
system would have to be loosened up a bit. Maybe quantum computers can
leap into the future? We know that in quantum physics the present is
often decided by a future event.

A computer based on quantum principles may well be nearer than we
realize. At the current small scales chip designers are currently
fighting to keep quantum effects out of chip design. But they may need
to embrace them as chip designs get smaller. They may first be seen as
random number generators for cryptography, but then they will be used to
enhance game realizum and provide intelegene for cyber characters.

ther future ----->   this way