[Colchester] Debian repair

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 18:52:08 GMT 2008

Hello Colchester,

I am wondering if someone can help. I have a Debian etch server which
has been in use for several weeks which now refuses to recognize the
network card. The machine networks fine on a live CD and the original
Debian network install. Trying a bog standard RTL8139D card is the same
problem.

When I do a /etc/init.d/network restart it says
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

however the card shows up on a lspci

I am in a dilemma, do I reinstall Debian from the netinstall disk whilst
attempting to not format the Hard Drive (one partition then partitioned
using LVM) or do I try and fix the fact it does not see the network cards.

Maybe someone could suggest how I could use a 2nd hard drive to backup
the /home and /etc and anything else I might need to do before reinstalling.

Regards,
Wayland.