[Colchester] Charity Ubuntu help please + Intro to Re~Cycle, the bicycle charity

Merlin Matthews Merlin.M at Re-Cycle.org
Thu Apr 21 13:03:07 UTC 2011

Hello

My name is Merlin and I set up and run Re~Cycle, the bicycle charity.

I've just started using Ubuntu on a laptop, and am looking for help
networking 3 computers in the charity, next to rollerworld.  Is this
something you or someone would be up for helping us out with please?

Can sort you out with a bike etc?

Millions of bicycles are thrown away or left to rust in the UK while
millions of people in Africa are forced by lack of transport to walk up
to 4-hours per day, to school, work or fetching water.

Re~Cycle ships donated bikes (35,620 thus far), tools and spare parts to
Africa, where partner organisations refurbish and distribute them.

More about Re~Cycle:
- in attached one side info sheet
- on Re~Cycle's web site: http://www.re-cycle.org
- powerpoint presentation at the bottom of this page:
http://re-cycle.org/About
- video here: http://www.re-cycle.org/Video/Mighty-Bike

Our web site has a new "How To" section, on 'How To set up and run a
bike re-use project', for both local use and shipping.  There will be a
downloadable / viewable "best practice" or "what we've worked out so
far".  There will also be a forum on how to improve the "How To"s (e.g.
'this worked well', 'thinking about trying that, any suggestions?'...).

http://www.re-cycle.org/How_To

The idea for this is to be collaborative, like wikipedia, where people
join in to make it better, for all to use.

Also, Re~Cycle is looking for people to set up branches in other places,
helped by the "How To"s!

Please do me / a bunch of Africans (and UK beneficiaries) a favour and
pass this on to any friends who might be interested, or who might have
friends who may be interested.

Thank you very much.

Merlin Matthews
Founder  ~ Re~Cycle  ~  Bicycle Aid for Africa
http://www.re-cycle.org ~ PLEASE DONATE, on or off-line
+44 797 073 1530
Skype: Merlin_Matthews  -  Sightspeed: Merlin.Matthews

We ship unwanted bikes to Africa and teach local people maintenance
skills

Trustee and ex-Chair ~ BPEC (Brighton Peace and Environment Centre)
http://www.bpec.org ~ Information and education for a fairer, greener
world

Winner of the 1st "Upstart Award", run by the New Statesman and
Centrica, £15,000 and support ~ more in depth expert 3rd party
validation of Re~Cycle's simple and extremely effective work.