[Colchester] SSDs are cheap but what if you're even cheaper?

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Sun Aug 25 21:41:21 UTC 2019

so 4 of those would cost £124 and for that you could buy a 1TB NVMe. But
then 4 would cost £496.

Compare the £496 to speed up the 4 computers compared to the £36 I spent.
Because who wants a measly 240GB (not 256 since you always leave some
blank)? It's not going to go much faster with a 240GB cache drive than a 60.

A 240GB SSD is a waste of money since it's smaller than the hard drive
it's replacing. The idea is SSD performance without the hundreds of
pounds price bill.

If you've got the money you should replace your entire system with one
that can accept a 2TB NVMe drive. The question is how to get top
performance without spending that? The answer is to keep your 1TB or 2TB
HDD and judiciously use an SSD to make the system faster.