[Colchester] continued ESP8266 and MQTT - Windows 10 or Linux

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Sun Sep 1 19:08:18 UTC 2019

On 01/09/2019 19:45, Martyn via Colchester wrote:
> Your plans going forward sound interesting and as much as I love
> playing with Linux my main OS has been W10 due to needing (a stable)
> Quickbooks for the business.
  Martyn,

There are a lot of frustrations when using Linux for business depending
on the business.
In some businesses, anything Internet based all works perfectly in Linux.
However the legacy of needing Windows based programs causes problems. I
found WINE handles most things written for Windows except those which
directly interact with hardware like USB key burners. Most of MS Office
works fine in Linux WINE. MS Access is impossible to get to work in
Linux so I run Windows 7 inside a VirtualBox in Linux and share the
files over the network.

I'm very happy in Linux having forced myself for a year. However moving
customers to Linux is much more challenging. Some of the Windows
software they use does not even work properly in Windows like the
accounts package SAGE.

Windows 10 is so terrible it would be better to give up all Windows
programs than actually have it on a computer. Fortunately Windows 7
still works as does Windows XP.

I don't know what your new area of business is but I would think that
home automation might be very popular. A lot of the current systems are
terrible in that to turn a light on it has to connect to 'The Cloud' and
ask it to put the light on for you. None of this is necessary but it
does involve having an actual 'Cloud' at home. That's were we come in.

Wayland.