[Colchester] Try out Linux, fed up with windows 10

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 16:40:50 UTC 2021

Hello Chris,

There are two things you must get right.

First you must /BURN/ the ISO onto the stick using a tool like Rufus on
Windows;
https://rufus.ie/
This is not the same as copying the ISO file to the stick.

Rufus is so good I keep a Windows 7 laptop just for this purpose.

Secondly you've gotta get your target PC to boot off the USB. Put the
USB stick into a USB 2 port on the back of the PC (a black one not a
blue one). If you clear the BIOS CMOS of the computer first it will
probably default to being able to boot USB. You may find it helpful to
enter the BIOS (usually by mashing F2 when it boots) then see if the USB
stick is showing up as a hard drive or boot device then selecting it as
the first boot option.

Really you just have to keep hacking away at this problem until you
figure it out. Each MoBo manufacturer does things a little differently.
You might want to look up how it's done on your board.

Regards,
Wayland.

--
Sent from my Linux Mint PC