[Deaf-lug] Success!

andrew arthur andrew.arthur at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 12:14:04 GMT 2007

Well it has been an interesting weekend! The weather has been bad so I
stayed in and played with Linux. As matter of fact we are having a howling
gale today, I fear the worst for that ship that's stuck on the beach.
 It is nowhere near here but if those containers break open the stuff inside
will end up all along the coast for weeks to come. Stuff that has been in
seawater is rarely much good it's terribly harmful stuff so it will
basically be junk.

 Anyway I have found out a lot. Firstly why Ubuntu can't load on my box.
This is because of the motherboard. It's an Asrock K7NF2 and it assumes that
people will only want to load Windows. So the drivers are on a CD that runs
in Windows and contains such vitale things as the IDE Controller, the AGP
drivers, the DMA drivers.... you get the idea. So obviously the IDE bus was
running slowly on basic defaults ( I did wonder why) and the Installer was
unable to detect the network card or the DMA. That caused a knock on effect
and a refusal to load the program.

 So I have now formatted the drive and put Widders back on in a separate
partition and then dual booted Debian from the goodbye-microsoft site. That
self installed brilliantly all the drivers, network, the whole shebang
downloaded across the ADSL connection. Very good.

I am surprised that the motherboard is so oriented towards Windows,
obviously it's necessary to be a bit selective when choosing a machine for
Linux.

--
Andy