[Deaf-lug] My network settings - FAO Joe

Tue Apr 1 11:51:13 BST 2008

I know it's over your head - don't worry but it does tell me what I want
to know...the 2nd bit is what we need to know what wireless you have:

 >        product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN
Controller
 >        vendor: Broadcom Corporation

A quick look on Ubuntu forum show this one that works for you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1725395&postcount=3

I'll edit it so that it's easier to understand though. I do not know
what you need to do to bring up the Run dialog in Gnome (as I customise
mine long ago and can't remember the default) so we will use Terminal
here again (sorry...I'll prefer to avoid that for you!)

In terminal type:

sudo gedit

Enter your password.

In gedit (it's a Gnome text editor) go to File > Open and go to
/etc/modprobe.d and open the blacklist file

In 'blacklist' file at bottom add this:

blacklist bcm43xx

Save the file and close gedit.

Now go to System > Administration > Synaptics Package Mangaer (if you
want to use Terminal to do this, type sudo synaptic)

Search for ndiswrapper-utils and right click on it and select "Mark it
for installation" Now click on Apply in toolbar and it will then install it.

Close Synaptics when it's done.

Now you'll need to download the Dell driver for wireless for Windows XP

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=5&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSPIRON1300%2FB130&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en

(that link should take you to the network drivers for Inspiron 1300 on
Windows XP)

When you have downloaded the exe file, right click on the file and
select the option "Extract Here" - it'll extract the contents into a new
folder (which is named after the file)

Now let's go back to Terminal...

I hope you remember how to use DOS etc...

You need to change to the folder where the files are extracted to so use
the commend "cd" and directory name to change to where the file is for
example:

cd Desktop will change to your desktop folder and so on. If you have
trouble with this, let me know.

Once you are in the extracted driver folder do this command:

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

Then you need to check that it is installed properly by running this
command:

ndiswrapper -l

which should display the following if correctly installed:

Installed drivers:
bcmwl5 driver installed, hardware present

Then run this command next:

ndiswrapper -m

Now reboot your laptop so that it get loaded.

(This illustrate why Ubuntu need a nice easy GUI for using ndiswrapper
instead of making newbies use the Terminal...I think OpenSUSE have a GUI
for installing Windows driver via ndiswrapper now?)

Hope that helped.