[Deaf-lug] My network settings - FAO Joe

Wed Apr 2 11:14:26 BST 2008

The file manager in Ubuntu (Gnome) is called nautilus. To run that as a
root (root = super administrator...it can change anything on Linux
including the ability to delete every single file on your disk so use
with caution) you are correct that in Terminal it would be like this:

sudo nautilus

** TIP ** - if you are unsure of the spelling of some command etc or
even directorys or if they are long or whatever just do this:

type sudo.
type nau and press <TAB> - it will auto-complete the rest of the word.
If it does not do that, press <TAB> again and it will show a list of all
matching commands starting with nau.

This can be used for directories/files too - ie /home/john/Des <Tab> -
this will give you /home/john/Desktop and so on ok?

As for accessing memory sticks etc - when you plug it in, it
automagically mount - and should show an icon on your desktop. If it
does not do this (it should) just open the file manager (Places > Home
for example) and click on Computer icon - this will show all available
mounted drives including memory sticks.

If doing it in Terminal - it shows up in /media/<disk name>

You can go to /media by this:

cd /media
ls

ls - list all files/directory in current folder (don't use dir - ls
comes with COLOUR! plus it's more powerful)

Linux do not use drive letters like Windows - everything start from / - root

You can mount a disk anywhere you like - for example you could map a
drive to /home/backup - this is a drive but we'll not go there yet!
Let's start with basics first :)