[Deaf-lug] Re: ubuntu heron grub error 15

Sun Apr 27 22:17:26 BST 2008

Ahh the infamous Grub Error 18...

It's rather easy to fix no worries - it's mainly caused by you creating
a partition that is too big for a old PC to read (they like to have a
small boot partition). You don't get this error with newer PC's.

All you need to do is to create a small boot partition (20Mb is fine) at
the start of disk and put /boot in there.

That's it. And you do not need a Windows tool for this (I'll recommend
against it). You can use a normal Live CD - Ubuntu Live CD is fine and
use a partition manager to shuffle partitions around..

But frankly since if it's a fresh installation - just start again...

Wipe out all partitions and make a new boot partition at start of disk
as above and install /boot into that.

Like I said, it only affect older computers. I had this error on a old
Sony VAIO desktop PC - it have a 15Mb /boot partition at start and it's
fine now.

Cheers

John Savv...err...I mean Joseph Gwynne-Jones