[Deaf-lug] Greetings

Tue Feb 12 12:09:26 GMT 2008

I meant to join ages ago. Forgot to do it. Until Fintan posted the link
in DUK-Tech again and this time I remembered to join.

I've been using Ubuntu since its very first distro, prior to this I've
tried multiple flavours such as Red Hat, Fedora, Mandrake (before the
name change), Debian, BSD (I think it was OpenBSD).

At home:

HOBBIT:
Mythubuntu backend server running:

MythTV server
NFS server (backup and access videos etc (ie for MythVideo, recent
videos is season 1 of Heroes all with SubRip files)
Apache2 (for torrentflux, Gallery2 and playaroundprojectthingywhatever)
Various stuff when I want to try things such as SIP proxy etc

KIDDIES:
As name say - Sony VAIO P3 computer for the kids running Xubuntu (XFCE
instead of Gnome) - ideal for school work etc (son increasingly getting
homework where he have to research on internet) - it've got a SiS
graphics, meaning it really suck for games which is the idea (ie Flash
games) ;-)

ZEUS:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz with 4Mb cache, and 2GB ram laptop with
1680x1050 res screen (Dell Vostro 1500) - Ubuntu naturally. On this one
I also run VirtualBox which I run WinXP, Vista, Ubuntu Dapper Drake LTS,
Debian Sarge, Debian Etch and so on (taking full advantage of VT-x
virtualisation technology that comes with the chip)

HADES:

1st generation Macbook - Does have OSX Leopard. Boots into Ubuntu by
default and that's the way it's staying ;) OSX is kept so kids can learn
to use different OS (plus it have Comic Life which the son likes)

KATRINA:

Wifey's brand new Macbook Pro (yes brand new...we returned her Macbook
pro for repairs. They lost it. We have a brand new replacement now and
thank feck I backed up and wiped the disk before sending for repairs).
Fully OSX Leopard bah...(she's a photographer and thus use Photoshop CS2
(it'll get upgraded to CS3 soon)).

All of the above except KIDDIES comes with MythTV frontend so there's
telly available everywhere ;-)

Cheers

JGJones