[Deaf-lug] Virtual Private Servers

Wed Jul 2 16:25:21 BST 2008

If anyone is after a nice cheap VPS - there are two ways you can go
about this...share a server with friends etc...

Or you can get a nice cheap one which I'm testing at the moment with
QuickServers - http://www.quickservers.com

I'm trailing the Root VPS at the moment (they allow you to try it out
for 3 days for free - all you have to do is to send them your email address)

The price? Just €8.95 per month for the Root VPS. That's amazingly
cheap. (I'm aware...you get what you pay for). It does cost a bit more
than a web host - but if you need more than what you get from a webhost
then...

It comes with 5GB of storage btw but I'm keen. My current web host is
Dreamhost in USA...however since I'm using my feed reader hosted with
them etc etc I'm sucking up more and more CPU time and the speed is
getting painfully slow for me on a shared hosting plan so I need some
CPU time and a VPS is one option for me.

Dreamhost does give me some really stupid amount of disk space that's
just vast and keep on growing (few hundred of GB's) however I've decided
that for the VPS I will be using Amazon S3 for extra storage. I already
backup my stuff to Amazon S3 and it only cost me about 4p a month.

So I can get a nice quick webhost with extra benefits that come with it
being a VPS (for example I'm going to use Bongo as my email server) and
extra storage as needed with Amazon S3.

Bongo - forked from the doomed Hula email/calander project from Novell
before they killed it. Bongo is looking quite nice to use and if you
plan it for yourself, remember it's really in alpha/beta - expect things
to die on you. I'm ok with that though. Read about it here:
http://www.bongo-project.org