[Deaf-lug] Virtual Hosts

Dafydd Eveleigh dafydd at evejam.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 21:08:40 BST 2008

Hi fellow ubuntuees

I am trying to set up virtual hosts on my ubuntu 8.04 for personal
testing and experimentation.

I want to be able to do somthing like http://joomla/ when I want to
test out joomla or http://wordpress/ when i want to test word press
and so on. Rather than http://localhost/joomla or http://localhost/wordpress
.

The server won't be public as it is for messing about and learning php
and tomcat and so on.

I tried following the instructions set out here

http://ricardocabello.com/blog/post/543/

But when I type in joomla it doesn't go to the root folder which i
have set up at /home/dafydd/www/joomla and goes to the default folder.

If anybody can provide a simple to use guide that will allow me to set
up multiple virtualhosts on ubuntu 8.04 that would be a great help.

I am thinking that the problems are caused using the synaptics package
manager and using a LAMP install. I wonder if it is better to install
individually using the terminal rather than the package manager.

Many Thanks in advance

Dy