[Deaf-lug] Ubuntu Won't Work on a laptop

Tue Mar 11 01:43:26 GMT 2008

I wouldn't use Ubuntu on the laptop...

It'll run...but horribly slow (Gnome/KDE just isn't suited for that)

However if you're willing to "play"...if you can get a copy of Linux
Format magazine from a store (supermarkets even stock them nowadays) -
they've got a DVD with 10 or 12 different distro's on it - some of them
are suitable for slow and old PC's

DSL (Damn Small Linux) will abosolutely SCREAM on your old old PC (it's
actually designed to run well on a 486 with 16Mb!!) - although it does
lack a bit in features...it'll load *fully* in RAM as you have 320Mb so
it'll be really fast.

http://damnsmalllinux.org/

However you'll obviously want a tad more features than that...so I could
suggest a slightly different DSL - DSL-N - http://damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/

It use more updated features so it's not as fast, but will still be
really fast with your old PC.

HOWEVER I'm aware that the two suggestions above aren't as
"user-friendly" as something like Ubuntu is...so I could suggest you
check out Xubuntu - which is Ubuntu, but using XCFE as the window
manager (take up much less resources than Gnome/KDE)

http://www.xubuntu.org/

Bear in mind that they will *not* have the full features of its bigger
brother - however I use Xubuntu on a Sony VAIO - which is a P3 1GHz with
512Mb and it works very well - good enough for casual web browsing etc
(in my case as I have SiS graphics...I have to disable Flash cos it's
simply just awful with that)

HDD sizes:

You've got 30GB free - Ubuntu'll work very very well with that space and
you can dual boot XP/Ubuntu (remember that while installing, don't
select the option to let it use entire HDD!! That means it wipes off XP
- just tell it to use free *available* space)

However I'm guessing that obviously that 30GB free space you talk about
is in a partition - so you'll need to edit the partition (it does have a
nice easy to use partition editor) to resize your 2nd HDD to free up
that 30GB of space.

before doing this - defrag your HDD!

Hope that's clear? A bit late here so I might not be explaining stuff
properly so do feel free to ask any questions!

Cheers