[Deaf-lug] Playback of web videos in Ubuntu Heron/Firefox

Fri May 2 15:26:03 BST 2008

OK there are a few options you can do here...

RealPlayer:

You can get RealPlayer for Linux -
http://uk.real.com/download/player/linux/en_eu/

You can install it from command line - ask if you're unsure how to start
this - if you use the sudo command, then it would install for everyone,
and if you don't, then it goes into your /home and only you could run
it. Not an issue if you're a single user.

Cons: BBC are phasing out RealPlayer, they're replacing most of their
content with iPlayer videos instead. Nowhere else use Real. Not worth
it.

So you're better off going with Windows Media.

Obviously by default and due to licencing and legal crap, you can't play
WMV's by default. However you can get codecs for nearly all video
formats:

http://www.medibuntu.org/ - "Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment &
Distractions In Ubuntu) is a repository of packages that cannot be
included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright,
license, patent, etc)."

It includes GoogleEarth and Skype for example too.

What you want to install from the above is quite a lot :)

w32codecs (if you're running 32bits or w64codecs if 64bits)
ffmpeg
mplayer

there's some others but can't remember.

Myself I have purchased legally licenced codecs by a 3rd party that
write plugins for GStreamer which cover MPEG2, WMV, WMA etc etc and is
fully supported - it's made by Fluendo and their webshop is here:

https://shop.fluendo.com/

No problem playing WMV videos except for DRM-restricted crap.

There should be an plugin that play WMV files already included in
Firefox, so select WMV, but the above is to ensure you have the codecs.