[Deaf-lug] Home Server

Joseph Gwynne-Jones joe at gwallgofi.com
Thu Jan 1 23:16:07 UTC 2009

The daft thing is...the majority of what people use them for is
basically just as a network drive.

It's much much easier and quicker just to buy an external HDD with a
network port. It's what I do. It's also much more power efficient and
have an instant-on boot up time therefore making it more worthwhile just
turning them off when not in use. It's not a good use of a old
PC...frankly I think it's better to have them recycled rather than them
sucking up a lot of power.

As for backup's - I use JungleDisk and store them on Amazon S3
(currently this backup cost me 20p a month although I've not yet
uploaded my photographs yet however this probably will increase to just
£2 a month or thereabouts).