[Deaf-lug] HELP. Can't Login any more

Dafydd Eveleigh dafydd at evejam.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 13:44:17 UTC 2009

Hi All

Just to let you know that I have found a way of saving all my files
using live CD.

I when to the terminal and typed in

sudo -i which gave me root access and that I was able to chmod and
chown to give me access via the live CD.

I have now saved all my files and will do a clean install later.

Still very strange how this happened in the first place!!!!!!

Many Thanks

Dy

On 17 Jan 2009, at 13:10, Dafydd Eveleigh wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> I really don't know why this as happened as I haven't done any
> tinkering this morning, and has been working fine all week.
>
> I booted up and logged in fine this morning, then I used a different
> account for my kids to do some typing.
>
> Now when I boot up I get the login screen I login and the login
> process starts and then I am sent back to the login screen.
>
> I have tried using crtl+alt+f1 for terminal login and the same thing
> happens I keep being sent back to the login.
>
> I have also tried failsafe mode both gnome and terminal.
>
> I have run out of ideas and my search on Google has so far failed to
> turn up a possible solution!!!!
>
> The important thing for me is to save all my files (I know I know I
> should have backed up and I have but the back up info is slightly
> out of date :-( )
>
> I have used a live CD to try and copy the files but didn't work.
>
> Any suggestions how I can repair the login or just save and copy the
> files would be brilliant as I can always do a clean install.
>
> Many Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Dy
>
> Dafydd Eveleigh
>
> Please Visit my Website