[Deaf-lug] USB Installation

Dafydd Eveleigh dafydd at evejam.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 05:33:26 UTC 2009

Dear all

I do hope you an help.

I needed to do a fresh install on my laptop. After the drive was
partitioned the laptop stopped reading the disk, which leads me to
conclude the optical drive is faulty (It is an old laptop).

So I am left with a laptop that I cannot use at the moment!!!!

As a work around I know you can install from a USB flash disk. However
looking at the forums most of them talk about requiring ubuntu or
windows to create a USB boot-up disk, I don't have either.

So I tried just copying the files from the installation disk to the
USB, needless to say it doesn't work. I do know my laptop will read
the USB disk on startup so need to find a way to create a USB
installation disk.

The only operating system I have at my disposal is an iMac with Mac OS
X 10.5 (Leopard).

Many Thanks in advance

Dafydd