[Derry] CUPS for mandrake download

Robert Brown derry at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Feb 2 18:24:01 2003

At 17:16 02/02/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Pete: That link works great, Cheers.
>
>I'm still concerned about my ftp though.  When I get to an ftp server and
>type
>ls I inevitalby get the message:
>
>227 Entering Passive Mode (194,83,57,7,5,204)
>
>What is happening?

Does it hang at that point, or does it give you a listing? It could be a
firewall issue. I'm not en expert on this but the difference between
passive and active FTP sessions has something to do with port number
allocations. Normally FTP logs on at port 21 in active mode, you are then
passed to passive mode and the FTP server forks a new process above port
1024 for you to use, The original process on port 21 then starts listening
for new connects. I think, can the experts elaborate on this. If you have a
firewall/IPchain/tables setup, try disabling it and trying the connection
again. If it works after that the you will need to sort out your firewall.

If you are using the Shorewall firewall supplied by Mandrake and setup via
the Mandrake control center, then you might have problems. I gave up using
it after it decided to take on a mind of its own and set up my own firewall
using IPtables.

I might be wrong, but its woth a try.

>Robert: My printer is an Epson Stylus Colour 400.

Just thought you might have a Winprinter issue, most Epsons are fine under
Linux. Its the cheaper Lexmarks you've got to watch out for.

--
Bye for now,
Robert Brown