[Derry] Printer install has failed miserably

Garvin Haslett derry at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 13 21:00:01 2003

Hi, the latest woe with my mandrake 9.0 install is a bothersome Epson Sty=
lus=20
Color 400.  I've successfully installed CUPS and the gimp-print drivers b=
ut=20
every time I send the test page to the printer I get a page full of=20
gobbledigook, that's a series of weird characters, not even postscript.

Miscellaneous technical info:
Driver: Epson Stylus Color 400 Foomatic + gimp-print
Corresponding ppd: /usr/share/cups/model/Epson-Stylus_Color_400-gimp-prin=
t.ppd

lpinfo -v returns:

network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct epson:/dev/lp0
direct parallel:/dev/lp0

gs -h returns a list of available devices that is too long to list here b=
ut=20
here are what I believe are the pertinent ones:=20

epl2050 epl2050p epl2120 epl5800
   epl5900 epl6100 eps9high eps9mid epson epsonc

The following are the font paths that are output by gs.h:

/home/tifkagh/.kde/share/fonts : /usr/share/ghostscript/7.05/lib :
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts : /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript :
/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1 : /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts

Can anyone show me the way to fixing this?

Garvin.