[Derry] DLUG on Tuesday 21st August

Seumas Mackinnon seumas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 19:17:17 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Well, another DLUG with human people. Declan, Dennis, Ferruccio and myself
in attendance.

My first note on this reads "Laser Building Drawing" and I knew roughly
what I was looking for, but it still took some mad googling skills to find
it! Well, you try...(even remembering "laser tag"). I eventually got it
from a conversation I had with an Australian back in 2007. Anyway, it had
better be acknowledged as cool after all that:
http://www.graffitiresearchlab.com/blog/projects/laser-tag/#video

Lots of Android stuff. There was a tablet (A1CS) and a couple of phones.

Also, on the ARM theme, Dennis had a Raspberry Pi! We didn't have the right
mix of power and HDMI to show it off, but I'm definitely going to have it
on display for next DLUG! Dennis is also for learning ARM assembly, to
which this stackoverflow thread might be of interest (particularly the
second reply):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/270078/resources-for-learning-arm-assembly

Mark Shuttleworth (of Ubuntu fame) gave a very interesting talk at OSCON.
So, we discussed Juju for a while. Frankly, I think if it works as I hope,
it could be epic...:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHXW10t38I

And last, and probably least, I've tried the Windows 8 consumer release and
while you might expect I'm not a huge Windows fan, I do have to support it
as my job: I still can't honestly see why I would deploy Windows 8 instead
of 7. It brings nothing but confusion to the table! Nuff said. Metro sucks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU

Hopefully for the next DLUG we'll have an up and running Raspberry Pi! See
you there!

Cheers, Seumas

--
Seumas Mackinnon
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting,