[Derry] manually adding applications to list in Ubuntu

Dan Danowski dan.danowski at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 10:25:55 UTC 2012

Took me a bit to find this and thought I'd pass it along.

I had downloaded a self contained application to run on my Ubuntu
12.04 desktop. Clicking on the application icon in the application
launched the app just fine, but it didn't show up in the Application
list in Unity. Did a little digging and found this method to add it >

<quote source="http://askubuntu.com/a/30236">

Try this (from a terminal):

Create a new .desktop file:

gedit ~/.local/share/applications/zend-studio.desktop

Add the following to that file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Zend Studio 8
Exec=/opt/ZendStudio/ZendStudio
Icon=/path/to/icon
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
For Icon=/path/to/icon: you'll likely find the icon somewhere in
/opt/ZendStudio.

Save it and make that file executable:

chmod +x ~/.local/share/applications/zend-studio.desktop
Now browse to that file in Nautilus, double-click to start and then
try to pin it to the launcher.

</quote>

--
Dan