[dundee] problems

Keir Lawson dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Wed Feb 5 09:49:01 2003

i have lots of them (some more linuxy than others)
problem 1:

for starters i have had to reinstall mandrake 9.0 (accidentally deleted GlibC) and the installer detected both my sound cards correctly. however now my sound problem has got even weirder... i cant seem to get any sound at all (from the KDE sound server, the gnome sound server, ALSA or XMMS with the oss sound plugin) except on one ocasion which i got perfect sound from both tuxracer and frozen bubble. however on restarting these games there was no sound!  i have cked volumes etc and cant seem to find anything wrong.  starting xmms or any of the games just mentioned from a terminal does not generate any erors.

problem 2:

my computers of button doesnt seem to work;  normally when i tell an os to shut down (either windows or linux) it shutsdown the computer automaticly without me having to switch the computer off. however recently it seems to restart irespective of whether i tell the os to shutdown or restart. on top of that when i press the off button the computer also restarts.  however holding in the off button for 6 seconds turns the computer off as it should do.  i have ckecked all of my bios settings but the problem is still there.

problem 3:

gnome ppp dialer doesnt seem to work.  when i dial up (yes all the information is correct) the modem makes the sounds as if its dialing and gnome ppp reports that i am connected however the pppd dameon dies about 5 seconds after i dial up and in the short space of time before it dies i cant acsess any web pages (as if i was offline).  however kppp seems to work.

if anyone could help me with any of my problems id be very greatfull.

thanks

from keir
--
religion is the opium of the masses Marx