[dundee] Last Nights Meeting

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 18:52:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 11:23, Mark Harrigan wrote:

Of the below I could talk about the following.. (to various degrees)

> Programming: C++, Perl, Shell

Perl and shell.

> Compiling Kernels, patching etc

Yep.

> Debian: Installation, Usage, Advantages, Disadvantages
> Samba, NFS

Yep.

> Sendmail, Exim and other mailers
> WLAN on Linux and in general
> Apache

Yep.

> Open Source Alternatives BeOS, BSD's, OpenVMS etc

OpenVMS should read FreeVMS, OpenVMS is the commercial product.

> Broadband Setup Under Linux
> Politics of Open Source / Free Software
> Gnome Vs KDE
> Organisational Structure of TLUG
> Promotion of Linux / Open Source in Dundee - Hospital, Schools, Unis
> Gaming in Linux (This got quite a bit of discussion at the meeting)
> Talks from people external to the group, Nick Dawes (Dundee Uni),
> Stephen Tweedie (Kernel Hacker and FS Guru) were potentials mentioned.
> Reports on interesting things you're playing with (very very good
> idea, if you've been playing with something cool tell us about it! Or
> we'll have to hurt you).
> Computing Benefiting the Community
> A Wiki on the website to allow easier group communication
> Security

TCP wrappers, good passwords, limiting services, file perms/ownerships.

> Distributed Computing

> Mark
>
> TLUG IRC Channel
> irc.oftc.net #tlug

Maybe an introduction to IRC is needed, to get a few more people on
#tlug ;)

--
Andrew