[dundee] broadband in newport

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Thu Jun 12 21:24:00 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 17:19, David R. Baird wrote:
> Time to delurk I reckon. Yes, I'm in the Fair City.

[snip]

> The setup will be an XP box connected to a cable modem, and to a
> hub which will feed the Linux box.
>
> I guess I'm asking, what settings do I need to know about to get
> the network working, once I have Linux installed?

Assuming your cable provider will just provide you with 1 dynamically
allocated IP. You will need to setup IP masquarading (a subset of
Network Address Translation) on the windows box (windows probably calls
it something lame).

You windows box will get its assigned IP on the cable modem interface.
On its other interface, which will connect to the hub, you will assign
an IP address from one of the reserved address ranges:

	1	Class A		10.x.x.x
	15	Class B's	172.16.x.x --> 172.31.x.x
	255	Class C's	192.168.0.x --> 192.168.255.x

e.g

172.16.0.1

on your Linux box you would assign it (the nic, eth0, probably) the
address 172.16.0.2 and the gateway address would be the address of the
windows box's private address, in this case 172.16.0.1

You'll want to probably use the same DNS entries as you use on your
windows box. Might be worth setting up a caching name server though.

And thats basically it.

--
Andrew