[dundee] broadband in newport

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Thu Jun 12 22:15:00 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 22:02, Mark Harrigan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:24:06PM +0100, Andrew Clayton wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 17:19, David R. Baird wrote:
> > > Time to delurk I reckon. Yes, I'm in the Fair City.
> >
> > [snip]
> >

> > > The setup will be an XP box connected to a cable modem, and to a
> > > hub which will feed the Linux box.
> > >
> > > I guess I'm asking, what settings do I need to know about to get
> > > the network working, once I have Linux installed?

[snip]

> > on your Linux box you would assign it (the nic, eth0, probably) the
> > address 172.16.0.2 and the gateway address would be the address of the
> > windows box's private address, in this case 172.16.0.1
> >

> Windows actually makes this even easier, you don't need to specify any
> ip's as Internet Connection Sharing will enable DHCP to automagically
> configure any connected system.
>
> I'm not quite sure as to where Mandrake stores network info but in
> Debian /etc/network/interfaces is the appropriate file. Look for a
> lines something like
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.20
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> and change to
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet dhcp.

Hmm, in that case it's probably even simpler (if Mandrake follows RedHat
on this) and if my memory serves me right (which it probably doesn't),
but I think you can just put

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'

in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

and do a ifup eth0

or something like this (never used DHCP...)

--
Andrew