[dundee] mail delivery program

Mark Harrigan dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 20 21:49:00 2003

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:28:27PM +0100, David R. Baird wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a command line program for sending mail out
> via an ISP? The sections in both 'Running Linux' and the RedHat
> Linux Bible describe setting up MTA's etc for a machine with a
> valid hostname, or else setting up graphical mail programs like
> Netscape, but there seems to be no mention of a program that can
> connect to an external mail server and authenticate to send out
> mail. Ideally I'm looking for something that will integrate
> seamlessly with the mail command, so I can send mail easily from
> scripts. Or could I configure sendmail or something to do this?

Sendmail is very capable of all of this, unfortunately I'm an exim
user so am not able to tell you anything much about setting it up, however
this lovely little script
http://cork.linux.ie/filemgmt/viewcat.php?cid=2 will do all the setup
for you, just answer some simple questions and away you go.

Mark