[dundee] ADSL set up advice.

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 22:00:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 20:37, Keir Lawson wrote:
> I know this isnt strictly linux related (feel free to ignore this email)
> but ... i need some advice for the hardware side of setting up a
> broadband connection.  i have two computers which both need to be able
> to acess the internet on the same adsl acount.  a network is not an
> option as that would mean dragging cable through the house (and i
> suspect i wireless one would be impractical).  the only solution i can
> see is to have two adsl modem. but im not sure how this would work with
> broad bamnd. help.

I dunno. But I wouldn't have thought you could use two adsl modems on
the same line just as you can't use two analogue modems on the same
line. Then you also have the problem with routing and ip addresses with
the two modems.

> keir
>
> ps whats linux compatiblity with adsl modems (especially pci ones) like?

I believe some are supported. But I wouldn't recommend that.

Really, your best option is one adsl modem/router and then either UTP or
wireless.

--
Andrew