[dundee] Audio connection over firewire

Martin Habets habets_martin at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 01:12:48 BST 2004

Well, not remembering that new audio connection thing bugged
me all the way back home!

The DM1000 chip linked below is used in the latest generation of
professional audio interfaces, most of which were only presented
at recent music expo's.
The second link shows BridgeCo's vision for all this. There are
off course other competing chips out these, but the important thing
is that BridgeCo beliefs this chip is or will be cheap enough to
add in lots of products. I don't know the price of the DM1000.

Apart from the competing chips, there is agreement to use the mLAN
protocol on top of firewire (a.k.a. IEEE1394) for this for now.
But they are talking about a possible future change to a wireless
interface (after 2006). I told you they wanted to keep on selling us
new boxes!

The reason I know all this is because I'm in the market for a good
audio interface. And I want to go firewire for that.
Unfortunately the DM1000 and mLAN are not yet supported in Linux,
mostly because part of the mLAN specs are not available.
But I understand some Linux folks are meeting with Yamaha (owners of mLAN)
as we speak, so things might evolve soon. Seemed that Linux was on
Yamaha's agenda, but after MS Windows and MAC OS X. The MAC OS X drivers
were released not long ago.

I have no relationship whatsoever with BridgeCo! It's just too much of a
commute to Switzerland...

Martin

http://www.bridgeco.net/products/dm1000/dm1000.shtml
http://www.bridgeco.net/company/vision/ena.shtml