[dundee] Linux on the desktop

alex mole nal at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 10 15:19:36 GMT 2004

I must confess that I, by and large, agree with his attack on too much
choice.

Bear in mind he's not talking about people who love Linux, he's talking
about general people who have no passion for computers, they just want
to use the internet and get their work done. Most people just want a
system that works. Currently there aren't really any systems like that,
though I suspect that Linux would come at the bottom of the pile of
pretenders [with Mac OS X quite possibly at the top, though I've not
used it enough to really form an opinion]. Any mucking about with
command line interfaces or drivers, or even any configuration beyond the
level of Themes and skins is too much.

IMHO, there is a major sticking point here: OS's and programs are made
by people who enjoy computers, people who can be bothered to google for
an error message to find out how to fix it, in short, people like us.
But the majority of users are not like this. These are people who aren't
sure what Mozilla means when it asks "Do you want Mozilla to be the
default mail application?". And why on earth should they be? This sort
of thing should be set up for them by someone who knows and cares about
it, like Dell or Packard Bell for instance. [Of course there is always a
danger of restricting choice too much, but we're a hell of a long way
from that].

Programs such as Mozilla FireBird and ThunderBird are starting to take
that on board. There is substantially less in the options boxes for
these; most of the less important choices have been removed, leaving
only the stuff people most people care about. And even that is presented
in a much more straightforward way. [hackers can always still install
the "Preferential" package and get access to all the stuff they used to
be able to]. This is a Step In The Right Direction. IMHO anyway :)

Alex

http://www.messagelabs.com