[dundee] Linux on the desktop

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Sun Jan 11 14:54:58 GMT 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:45:50PM +0000, Martin Habets wrote:
> I must agree that the Apple hardware is the best commercial hardware I have worked
> with.

You must not have worked with the fine Sun ELC, a decade old and still
better screen resolution than any PC I use.  Such a shame that sparcs
these days seem to be just really expensive PCs.

> On a professional level it has the 64 bit processor that can run big- or
> little-endian, providing a good interface to existing (old) commercial hardware.
> For private use it has very fancy I/O interfaces.

What have you used 64-bitness in apples for?  As far as I know Mac OS
X is only 32-bit.

> The mouse and the price are the biggest problems for Apple indeed. My powerbook has a
> trackpad on top of that too. And Apple is not open source friendly. I don't like Mac
> OS X, but that is just because I'm used to FREEDOM. Call me spoiled...

Apple is getting better for Free Software of course, they use KHTML
and other bits and Darwin is Free Software.  And third part projects
like fink provide many other bits.  But it's not a patch on
GNU/Linux.  And it isn't very Open Source.

Jonathan