[dundee] Webtrust volunteering

Martin Habets habets_martin at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 15:28:20 GMT 2004

 --- Andrew Clayton <andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote: > On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 13:00, Martin
Habets wrote:

> [snip]
>

> > * I did not see anything related to some of the other purposes that Linux'
> >   is used most for in the commercial marketplace:
> >   * print server
> >   * web server
> >   * firewall
> >   Is there no need for these? It may be a good start to set up a web server
> >   (with on-line shopping) on a Linux machine if a charity does not have anything
> >   like that yet.
> >

> Well... these are such a no brainner, it doesn't need wasting brain
> cycles thinking about!

You're thinking like a Linux user. Now try and put yourself in the shoes of
a Microsoft-only organization contemplating on Linux. Tough one, I know :)

The other ting (which I forgot to mention) is that MS would usually have
dedicated (relatively powerfull) machines for these. With Linux these things
can be done on one old (relatively slow) machine that would be unusable away
otherwise.

Martin