[dundee] volunteering

angie at nirvana.me.uk angie at nirvana.me.uk
Fri Jan 23 17:12:11 GMT 2004

Excuse the delay in posting this - I've been snowed under with work over the
past few weeks.

Got around to preparing an overview of possible TLUG projects now since the
meeting (finally) – Can someone remind me who to e-mail the slides to please?

Simple install Linux with some apps – as mentioned b4 there is already some
interest in this. Any agreement on a good package?

Documentation/Training material – most Linux documentation/guides etc look
techie orientated – most likely because coders don’t like writing manuals ;)
Looking for Idiots guide level training material ranging from installing
Linux / guidance on moving from windows to linux etc as well as user guides for
various apps. Long term we’d like to be able to offer ECDL training/testing in
Linux.
Someone mentioned http://lbproject.sourceforge.net/ - which is a good start.
Perhaps someone could source existing Linux non-techie docs? (easy option) or
help develop courseware based on our Windows stuff.

Skills list – it was decided it would be useful to get a list of
skills/services that the group have to offer the Dundee voluntary sector.
Once this is done I can put an article into a few voluntary sector
magazines/mailing lists.

Support/Linux Resource – I'm working on developing a web site aimed at
charities with information on free/cheap IT resources (as and when I et the
time). Obviously Linux would feature in this. Any Linux resources/ training
material etc could be included here as well as a support forum – would the
group be prepared to answer Linux related Q’s as they were posted? I think IRC
support was also mentioned.

Regards
  - Angie

P.S. Sorry if I've missed anything - it's too close to pub time!