[dundee] 1 year anniversary (plain text re-send)

Duncan Gauld dunkers at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 4 00:37:06 BST 2004

> I'll just point out that it will be our 1 year anniversary of LUG
> meetings...

Is it really that long already? Wow.

It must have been some time in June 2002 that I first ran a search for
linux-interested people in Dundee. Then I forgot about it until early 2003
(IIRC). I started again by running ICQ searches and Linux Counter lookups
for people in the Tayside area with "linux" listed as an interest. I sent
those people emails asking them if they were interested in setting up a LUG
and got a good response; someone - I believe it was Mark Harrigan -
circulated an email on the Dundee University intranet advertising the LUG.
And so the numbers grew in early 2003 and we eventually held an initial
meeting.

The meetings have continued ever since.

I am sorry I have not attented many of the meetings - hardly any in fact.
But I am very glad to have seen the Tayside Linux User Group take off, with
many keen members. I would especially like to thank Mr Harrigan for his
enthusiasm from the start and of course Dundee University for allowing us
the use of their facilities, which has allowed this to happen.

So!, we've got a thriving LUG in Dundee now.

Well done, people.

Duncan.