[dundee] 1 year anniversary

Monfieth monfieth at rushmore.com
Wed May 5 05:23:58 BST 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004 00:33:15 +0100
<dunkers at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> First of all, apologies for the HTML mail; I am sending this through blueyonder webmail.
>
> > I'll just point out that it will be our 1 year anniversary of LUG
> > meetings...
>
> Is it really that long already? Wow.
>
> It must have been some time in June 2002 that I first ran a search for
 linux-interested people in Dundee. Then I forgot about it until early 2003
 (IIRC). I started again by running ICQ searches and Linux Counter lookups for
 people in the Tayside area with "linux" listed as an interest. I sent those
 people emails asking them if they were interested in setting up a LUG and got a
 good response; someone - I believe it was Mark Harrigan - circulated an email
 on the Dundee University intranet advertising the LUG. And so the numbers grew
 in early 2003 and we eventually held an initial meeting.

> The meetings have continued ever since.
>
> I am sorry I have not attented many of the meetings - hardly any in fact. But
 I am very glad to have seen the Tayside Linux User Group take off, with many
 keen members. I would especially like to thank Mr Harrigan for his enthusiasm
 from the start and of course Dundee University for allowing us the use of their
 facilities, which has allowed this to happen.

> So!, we've got a thriving LUG in Dundee now.
>
> Well done, people.
>
> Duncan.
You even have me reading mail, there is no lug here. Ran across you by accident.
My brotherin law, lives in Monifieth, and somehow I found you listed.
Sorry I have not been to any of the meetings can't get the time off.
Regards Lee
Rapid City SD, USA