[dundee] WINE, Cedega, & The Gamers

Nistur Effee nistur at karate.com
Sun Apr 1 19:38:00 BST 2007

I agree, different machines running a variety of programs is important. However we need to make it interesting. I currently have a selection of emulators running on my laptop and PC along with an XBox controller and modified cable (usb attachment) that runs on virtually all of them. Add to this Cedega and a couple of games and you have a decent games section.
I'm not saying all students are gamers. But thinking about people I know who don't use linux, a lot of them are very attached to their games.
If we could show that a lot of games are playable (any WoWers care to demo their skills there?) as well as there being programs to cater to virtually every need ("virtually" only put in because someone is likely to say that they have the need to launch nukes with a single button press or something) I think that it may be a success.
I am not sure whether I agree that new users are necessarily better to draw in yet more new users though. I think there should be a variety, new users to give the cheesey success stories and more experienced users in case there are already people who are very comfortable with windoze/Mac OSs but just not switched.

Again, only my view, it's up to the society to make up their mind what they want