[dundee] Broadband? Just Flush it down.

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 17:25:38 BST 2007

http://www.google.com/tisp/

me thinks it may be the month of april.

however, this could actually work!!!

Although you may experinces blockages if you have had a curry the night before.

Laters,
Lee

Lee Hughes <toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: Seems that Crysis uses DirectX 10,which is only avaible in Windows Vista.
It's an API!!!  there no reason why directX10 can't run on XP..seems
that microsoil are using gamers to sell thier new flagship O/S!

Shame about that,the only reason I duck back to windows is too play games.

I think it may stay that way for sometime to come.

:-(

Lee

Arron Finnon <arron.finnon at hotmail.co.uk> wrote: Hi guys,

Cedega, what a topic this can turn out to be.  All though I'm not much of a
gamer and in fairness i know less about gaming than i do about Linux (which
i know isn't saying much), i understand the importance of this subject.  I
do speak to a lot of people about making the full time switch from Wind0ze
to Linux, and most of them are gamers.  They want to be able to continue
their  gaming and just feel that Linux is just too fair behind to do this,
now I'm not saying this is the case (cause in fairness i wouldn't know, just
what i have heard from people).

However gaming commands a large user base of people and in my belief it is
the final big hurdle, not just the ability to handle the games them self but
rather bad P.R attached.  I actually never hear a good word about Cedega,
but this could be for a lot of reasons, but I'm left remember an incident
when Cedega users where banned from a on-line game (can't remember the name
of it, but it was big enough to make the Computering news) for a day,
because the games company thought the Cedega users where either cheating or
vulnerable to cheating.  This kinda issue i think scares new users wanting
to make the Linux jump i think.  I think that a mass of new and enthusiastic
users can't wait to ditch “sir bill of gates, and his dancing monkey boy
palls”  and stick a tux in their machines.

Too often i have been told by people, “i use XP for my games”, “if i could
I'd get rid of windows i would” so i do believe that more time needs to be
invested into getting games working (be it either via WINE or Cedega).  As a
university society we have the chance to have a stall at freshers fair,
where i imagine we'll get some computing students wanting to know more about
Linux, and i too imagine that the issue of gaming will pop-up once again, so
as a group of loosely associated Linux people it would be good if we could
do a series of talks and presentations on it.  I feel that the gaming bunch
are being exposed to Linux on such a regular basis, especially with the
PlayStation's running Linux and the likes.

So i suppose the next step, if all of those interested in doing a Linux
Gaming presentation email (and i have googlemail, for all of those that tut
at me having a hotmail  account) me, i have a few people that i could ask to
help on it as well, then maybe we can do a series of presentations and
workshops and see if we can gather a head of steam and get more new lambs
into the fold.

Let me know what you think, oh what am i saying of course you guys will :->

Arron M Finnon;

in breaking news: Home computers are being called upon to preform many new
functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk