[dundee] From Gibbon's to a dancing monkey boy

Arron Finnon arron.finnon at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 13:29:26 BST 2007

Hi Guys,

Last nights society meeting was good and i think everyone enjoyed
themselves.  Feisty Fawn has just been released (and shipit are now taking
orders for you free live CD's, but it's now limited to only 3), and the code
name for the next project has been released.  Gusty Gibbon 7.10 has been
announced -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2007-April/000276.html

I think one of the major bonus for the Ubuntu team is their fast and frantic
release cycles assuring that they are in the Linux news at least every 6
months.  I imagine that most avid Buntu users will have made their swap over
awhile ago.  Feisty or dare i say the Buntu family at large stopped like
many other distros supporting MP3 and other disputed media file formats, due
to ongoing patent disputes, however my understanding is the feisty fawn will
come with mp3 support which will make a large section of the new users
flooding into Linux and the Buntu family very happy in deed.  In a recent
blog i read i noticed an interesting referral to Mark Shuttleworth's
interview with Red Herring  -
http://robitaille.wordpress.com/2006/12/30/ubuntu-now-has-over-8-millions-users/
where he reckons in December of 2006 Ubuntu had 8 million users.

mp3's and DRM's, a multiple click selections; it's the dancing monkey boy
himself, Steve Ballmer and his amazing talent for putting both of his feet
in his gob at the same time.  Some of you may have heard about Mr Dancing
Monkey Boy running around telling people that Linux violates Micro£oft
patents, but as usual, more spin than any actual hairy truth.  So there has
been a little movement started called “show us your code, Steve” in an
effort for Micro£oft to show Linux developers which patents are being
violated so they can be written out.  Needless to say all has gone quite
from Steve (“what not even a wee jig”, i hear you say) so a web site has
been set up to draw attention to the fact  that the Merry NT boys are going
around saying in fairness very serious allegations but have refused to show
any proof of this.  So any of you are interested here's the link -
http://showusthecode.com/ -

And any Steve Ballmer jokes you want to send to me are welcome, the winner
will receive my very best Bill Gate's jokes.

//Stop.NT.Rant

Hope u all have a good weekend and catch up with you soon.

Arron