[dundee] A Python got me by the Neck...

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 21:39:30 BST 2007

Thanks for all your support on this..

all the answer were top notch!!

but, it was the *ORDER* I was starting my scripts, it seems that th python script was connecting to a server process, that was being run *AFTER* the python script...ala..crash!!

silly me!!!

On my rearch I bumped into http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

which seems a nice modern init replacement...

anyone had a play..they say you can boot faster..but hey..who reboots linux!!

:-)

oh miss the meeting tonight, hope you had a good one..I'll be there next time!

Laters,
Lee

Robert McWilliam <rmcw at allmail.net> wrote: On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:08:07 +0100 (BST)
Lee Hughes  wrote:
> any idea's. I've not got console access, so I'm not sure if I'm
> getting any nasty  errors messages on start.

To catch the output from the python script you can wrap it in a shell
script that redirect stdout and stderr to a file, i.e. move the python
script out of /etc/init* and replace it with something like:

 #!/bin/sh

 /path/to/python/script &>/path/to/log/file

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk