[dundee] Freshers Fair

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 11:54:17 BST 2007

when I'm back I'm going to crack that weirdo projector problem, rather resoultion, I think it probably refresh rates, X always seems to pick whacked out refresh rates, (usualy better ones)... I'll see..

I missed the meeting!!! I can bring my machine to freshers' fair...

giving out mints might be a plan.

get some ubuntu cd's to give away...

Might be nice to set up XGL over 3 screens or something to look impressive.

Perhaps I can design a poster?

I dunno..

have I gone mad?

nice to see group is still active while I've been away..well done all!

Cheers,
Lee
'leave unix to the egyptians  '

William Cameron <bc_dundee at hotmail.com> wrote:    P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma }

---------------------------------
> From: nistur at karate.com
> To: dundee at mailman.lug.org.uk
> Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 04:41:05 +0800
> Subject: Re: [dundee] Freshers Fair
> CC:
>
> sounds like everyone's thinking along the same tracks. How many machines have we procured for this? I mean, it might be amusing to have an even larger range, have something purely command line just for the hell of it, I have recently discovered fbi as a framebuffer image viewer, and there are passable command line alternatives for a lot of things.

Not entirely sure of the ins and outs just now, but from this bit of activity I recon something will come up at the next meeting at Abertay.  Having said that I missed last week myself, so not sure what's been said there.

> Anyway, on a different track, I know this isn't the best idea, as new users are likely to find it difficult to stand up infront and ask questions. I was just thinking (and sorry if things are happening a lot more now since I've been gone) but it may be an interesting idea to have an "open floor" kinda thing. People hook up their laptops to the projector (power tested of course) and explain their problems and people can then suggest help for them there. Like I said, probably not a usable idea but still, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Sounds good.  I think there are some technical difficulties with the projector in our room and its 'incompatability' (for lack of a better word) with *nix.  Something to do with the resolution supported by the projector I believe, so some laptops may work and some may not.  It is for this reason Arron runs most of his presentations in PDF through the Uni supplied machine in the room.

Bill

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk